LibreOffice 5.2.3 for Slackware-current

libreoffce_logoI wanted the latest LibreOffice in the upcoming Slackware Live Edition 1.1.4 (PLASMA 5 variant) so I have built and uploaded a set of packages for LibreOffice 5.2.3. They are for Slackware-current only.
The announcement on the Document Foundation blog for this version is just a couple of days old. This is still considered bleeding edge: “LibreOffice 5.2.3 “fresh”, the third minor release of the LibreOffice 5.2 family, <represents> the bleeding edge in term of features and as such targeted at technology enthusiasts, early adopters and power users“.

The package version for Slackware 14.2 will have to remain at 5.2.1 for a while (a set of LibreOffice packages takes a day to compile in my virtual machine). There’s also the somewhat stale but stable 5.1.5 version for which you can find packages in my Slackware 14.1 repository. They work on Slackware 14.2 too.

Get the LibreOffice packages preferably from one of the mirrors because of the package size, and take into account that only the master site and ‘bear’ will have the packages during the first 24 hours:

Note: the LibreOffice browser plugin (NPAPI based) has been removed in LibreOffice 4.4.0: https://skyfromme.wordpress.com/2014/09/25/killing-the-npapi-plugin/

Have fun! Eric

16 thoughts on “LibreOffice 5.2.3 for Slackware-current



  1. Hi Eric!
    If possible, wait until the 5.2.5 (or 5.2.6) release to build a LO package for Slackware 14.2. In this way we will have a stable LO version available for Slackware 14.2.
    Thanks in advance.


  2. Pingback: Links 11/11/2016: Mutter 3.22.2, Slackware Live Edition 1.1.4 | Techrights

  3. Thanks a lot for this package.

    Reminder if you have a gtk file dialog even with kde-integration package installed, don’t forget to edit /etc/profile.d/libreoffice.sh and change the value for “SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN” (or comment that whole variable definition out with a ‘#’).
    😉




  4. Unless you are more specific I am not going to help you apart from this hint:
    Try the command “ldd /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libsclo.so |grep found” to see what libraries you may be missing.

    Minimum required information to become a question that I take seriously, is: are you indeed running Slackware-current? 32bit or 64bit? Did you actually install my libreoffice-5.2.3 package? Plus, be a bit more polite than just writing the error message and assuming I will then fix it for you.



  5. looks like your build is w boost 1.59…. I’m running current, 64 and have the same issue w libsclo.so as above. I grepped ldd as per your hint, and got the following:

    ldd /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libsclo.so |grep found
    libboost_system.so.1.59.0 => not found
    libboost_iostreams.so.1.59.0 => not found
    libboost_filesystem.so.1.59.0 => not found

    I think boost just got bumped up to 1.61, which is what slackpkg reinstalled for me when I invoked it. Whil;e the rest of your current Libreoffice build works, when we try the spreadsheet, it craps out. Am attemtping to build the Slackbuild now…..


  6. My laptop running Slackware64-current:

    eha@baxter:~$ ldd /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libsclo.so |grep boost
    libboost_system.so.1.61.0 => /usr/lib64/libboost_system.so.1.61.0 (0x00007f952ff24000)
    libboost_iostreams.so.1.61.0 => /usr/lib64/libboost_iostreams.so.1.61.0 (0x00007f952fd0c000)
    libboost_filesystem.so.1.61.0 => /usr/lib64/libboost_filesystem.so.1.61.0 (0x00007f952faf3000)
    eha@baxter:~$ ls /var/log/packages/libreoffice-5.2.3-x86_64-1alien
    /var/log/packages/libreoffice-5.2.3-x86_64-1alien
    eha@baxter:~$


  7. Again: you *are* using the libreoffice package from the “current” repository, right? Because I also built packages for Slackware 14.2 and those have the exact same filenames.


  8. Yes, I’m running the libreoffice build from your current repo. I’m going to try a reboot since its been about a month and let’s see if some libraries link up right then….


  9. OK, I downloaded the binary from your server, and it works so I figure I’d best carefully check my slackpkg+ configuration…. Thanks for a job well done Eric.



  10. If anyone is still having this issue, I was having it as well and was able to fix it.

    I am using slackware14.2, not slackware-current. In my slackpkg+ config, my alienbob repository was set to use ‘current.’ This was the problem.

    When I installed libreoffice from the repo, that is when the error occurred. I changed the repo in the config, then manually removed libreoffice. After installing it again with the correct repo with slackpg, the error went away and I can use the application as expected.

    As always, thanks to Eric for his amazing work and continued commitment. I hope this helps someone!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.