I built and uploaded new packages for LibreOffice 6.2.3. A rebuild for Slackware-current was needed anyway because of the recent boost upgrade in -current, but I assume everyone knows that my boost-compat package will help you with the need for older library versions.
The 6.2.3 release was just over a week ago, but I have not feeling well for a while and things move a lot slower these days. Updates will no longer have the same frequency I am afraid.
Anyway, building on Slackware-current kept failing with gpgme related errors, until I remembered that I had issues with gpgme in the past. The kdepimlibs package in Slackware contains several gpgme++ header files that are also part of the gpgme package, but they are not compatible. Even with the ChangeLog.txt entry Pat wrote on 29 March “kde/kdepimlibs-4.14.10-x86_64-7.txz: Rebuilt. Recompiled to pull in new gpgme++ header files.“, the headers in kdepimlibs are still wrong. A re-install of the gpgme package fixed the compilation of LibreOffice.
Packages are available for Slackware 14.2 and -current from the usual locations. I chose not to upgrade the Slackware 14.2 package to 6.1.5 this time; hopefully the newer code in 6.2.3 is mature enough after three iterations.
The Chromium 72 code was released a few days ago by Google. I built new Slackware packages for Chromium 72.0.3626.81 during the weekend and they are ready for download now on slackware.com or slackware.nl, or any other mirror of course.
There’s a sizable number of CVE’s mentioned in the ChangeLog that were fixed in this release. Therefore it’s a good idea to upgrade today.
I verified that the Widevine CDM is still working, so your Netflix movie streaming is not affected by the upgrade.
Patrick updated the glibc package in slackware-current to the 2.29 release, so I could not stay behind. A new multilib version of the glibc package (also 2.29) is now available in the ‘multilib‘ package repository. I also updated all the ‘compat32’ packages to their latest Slackware versions. Update and enjoy a hassle-free Slackware environment where everything ‘just works’.
The Document Foundation released version 6.1.4 of their office suite Libre Office back on 18 December 2018. I fell ill on the 18th so I missed all the fun. I am working my way back through important software releases and now is the time to start building this version of LibreOffice for Slackware.
I need to compile four sets of packages: for Slackware 14.2 and -current, 32bits and 64bits. That means lots of compile time, so don’t expect new packages in the next few days. They will arrive in the repository eventually. Subscribe to the RSS feed of my ChangeLog if you want to know when.
I also updated the VeraCrypt package to version 1.23, and you’ll find one for Slackware 14.2 as well as -current. Next on the list to update are: handbrake, ffmpeg, mkvtoolnix and probably others that I have neglected. All of these will become available shortly for 14.2 and -current. Fans of Plasma5 will have to wait a bit… Plasma 5.14 is just around the corner but I may wait until 5.14.1.
The new major release ‘6’ of LibreOffice was made available almost two weeks ago but I have been struggling with the 32bit build. Despite the fact that my 64bit -current packages for libreoffice-6.0.0 were online for a short while (almost nobody noticed), I did not have anything good to share so I removed those again.
And in the meantime, faster than scheduled because of some serious regressions and a security report, I noticed the release of version 6.0.1 two days ago. I had been busy with new Plasma5, VLC and GCC packages but with those out of the way I set myself again to the task of fixing the 32bit build. And I nailed it, so now I can finally announce packages for Slackware 14.2 and -current.
There’s a lot to write about what has been improved or added to LibreOffice 6, the release page names quite a few already and here is a selection of features that I found striking:
modernized look & feel of the user interface
gpg-based document signing & encryption, yay!
export to epub
better unicode font coverage by including a selection of noto fonts
improved spell-checker and custom dictionaries
improved help system
interactive form creation through a new ‘form’ menu in writer
impress templates are re-designed into 16:9 format
Because of recent updates in slackware-current (in this case, the boost package) the LibreOffice in my own repository stopped working. Library conflict. Don’t you love the life on the bleeding edge 😉
By coïncidence, the Document Foundation had just released a new version of their LibreOffice sources, so instead of recompiling the old 5.4.3 packages I could grab the new 5.4.4 release and turn those sources into Slackware packages (Slackware 14.2 and -current). The next major release 6.0 is just around the corner but I am not going to wait for that.
You can get the new packages from my repository – like https://slackware.nl/people/alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/ .
Also, I updated the multilibrepository with the latest updates in slackware-current (the new l/Mako, a/lzlib and a/plzip are now also available in a “compat32” version).
Remember to also install the new packages, not just upgrade the existing ones! If you have a local mirror, that means using “upgradepkg –install-new” and if you use slackpkg with slackpkg+, you need to do “slackpkg update; slackpkg install multilib ; slackpkg upgrade-all”. That “slackpkg install multilib” takes care of installing any package you are still missing.
Work on a new Plasma5 package set is also well underway. The 64bit -current bit is done so I know I have my sources and scripts in order, and I am generating a new PLASMA5 Live ISO for testing. Stay tuned.
Dear visitor, you seem to be using an Ad Blocker. Please consider whitelisting 'Alien Pastures'. I use the revenue from displaying ads (small as it is) to keep this site running. Thanks!