My thoughts on Slackware, life and everything

Libreoffice 4.1.2 packages and the blog is back up

harrierOh my. The server which hosts my blog, as well as,, the mailing lists and several more personal web sites, and on top of that is also known as ““, lost both of its RAID-configured drives. One drive is completely dead but Robby Workman was able to rescue much of the data on the other drive. It’s still a mystery as to why two disk drives failed at the same second, and accusing fingers are being pointed at the on-board SATA controller of the server.

Fortunately, Robby managed to install Slackware anew, and configure it back to operational status. Only a lot of mirror data is still not available but that is being sucked back in from other Internet mirror servers, so I expect that full services will be restored pretty soon.

My blog and Wiki are fully restored but I have switched to a backup twice a day (I used to backup once a day) just to be on the safe side…

TekLinks, the company which hosts the server in its datacenter, has provided full support in order to get the server back up and running again as fast as possible, thanks for that!


And now, on to the topic which I could not write aboout since the blog was down (but Willy helped with that) ๐Ÿ™‚

I finally managed to re-write the libreOffice.SlackBuild for the 4.1 releases. It took a while to get everything right, and get the various language dictionaries properly split off into their own packages. Just when I had built libreoffice-4.1.1 there was a source release of 4.1.2 so I never made my 4.1.1 packages public and instead went for the newest release.

If you want to read more about the improvements of the 4.1 release, you should read the official announcement of 4.1.0. The main focus is on interoperability (with the arch rival MS Office of course). More detail is to be found in the “4.1 new features and fixes” article.

LibreOffice 4.1.2 packages for Slackware can now be obtained from my 14.0 package repository – they will work on Slackware-current just as well. Note that there are now additional “libreoffice-dict-<language>” packages!

If you are still running Slackware 13.37 you should stick with LibreOffice 3.6.7 for which I also have packages.

They are also available from several mirrors. Remember, the mirror sites usually have a bigger bandwidth available than the master site! If you are a mirror administrator, and want to be added to the list, contact me.

Here is the shortlist:

You can subscribe to the repository’s RSS feed if you want to be the first to know when new packages are uploaded.

Cheers, Eric


  1. LoneStar

    Welcome back to the wonderful world of the internet blogging! ๐Ÿ˜€

    Speaking of Libreoffice, after upgrading to 4.1.2, I notice that the menu bar has an issue: the item names are of the same color of the bar background, resulting invisible. They become visible only on mouse-over, because the background changes its color.

    I guess it’s something GTK-related, and probably even just due to my specific theme, but still worth letting it know…

    Maybe there is just some new setting that I’m not aware of… ?

  2. Willy Sudiarto Raharjo

    I think it’s synced with your theme
    i used MENTA on MATE and it also has a light green titlebar on top of the application

  3. Willy Sudiarto Raharjo

    Also, since 4.0, LibreOffice support Firefox’s persona. See here:

  4. LoneStar

    Thanks, yes I am pretty much sure now that it’s some local issue, because I’ve upgraded Libreoffice on another machine where I have the same themes and the menubar is perfectly visible.

    Please ignore my comments and thanks for caring!

  5. Slacker

    LibreOffice 4.1.2 doesn’t highlight spelling mistakes. Also when asked to check, I get:

  6. Alan Aversa

    If both the RAID drives are the same age, it’s probably they could both fail simultaneously.

  7. Willy Sudiarto Raharjo

    @Slacker: have you installed the libreoffice-dict-{en} package?
    I have mine correctly checked the wrong grammar

  8. alienbob

    Same here, after installing the ‘nl’ and ‘en’ dictionary packages I could do a spell check on english and dutch texts.


  9. John Yost

    make[1]: Leaving directory /tmp/build/tmp-libreoffice/libreoffice-′
    make: *** [build] Error 2
    libreoffice.SlackBuild FAILED at line 880

    What other info should I provide
    Slackware64-14.0 Kde 4.10.5

  10. alienbob

    John, the line “880” is the line in the script where “make” is called.
    You do not tell anything about your Slackware version, whether you installed the required packages for compiling LibreOffice, and do not show the real errors which will have occurred long before the message you posted… etcetera.

    The information you provide is worth exactly zero. Just install the packages I created for you.


  11. John Yost

    Disregard previous slackbuild failure.
    Successfully built on second attempt.
    place /tmp on a larger disk
    # ADD_LANGUAGES=”$(cat $SRCDIR/….”
    The build used 17GB of disk space and still built all the dictionaries, but did build libreoffice-4.1.2 and the mozplugin successfully
    Great Job Alien
    Cheers John

  12. Mike Langdon (mlangdn)

    Thanks Eric!

  13. Antonio

    …good!!! (y) ๐Ÿ™‚

  14. alienbob

    Hi John

    Yes, a lot of disk space (and patience) is required for compiling LibreOffice.
    That is why I offer packages in the first place… my SlackBuild scripts are just the by-product.

    Cheers, Eric

  15. Eduardo

    Thanks Eric!

    Btw I found that the “check for updates” part of the Extension Manager doesn’t seem to work. Might be an upstream issue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2024 Alien Pastures

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑