Main menu:


Please consider a small donation:



Or you can donate bitcoin:


Thanks to TekLinks in Birmingham, AL, for providing colocation and bandwidth.

Page Rank


FOSS Force Best Blog--2013 Award

Recent posts

Recent comments

About this blog

I am Eric Hameleers, and this is where I think out loud.
More about me.


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 425 other subscribers

My Favourites



April 2019
« Mar    

RSS Alien's Slackware packages

RSS Alien's unofficial KDE Slackware packages

RSS Alien's multilib packages

RSS Slackware64-current



Compiling libreoffice, a bumpy ride

A new version of LibreOffice was released last week: 3.3.1. This is the first release where divergence from the old may become apparent.

Of course I wanted to build Slackware packages for it but being audacious, I decided to make some expansions to the SlackBuild script in order to achieve the following:

  • include more extensions by default
  • include dictionaries for some of the major world languages (US and UK english, french, german, spanish, dutch)
  • add more language packs!

I just did not think it would cost me 6 days of work to get the bugger to compile correctly… I needed to hunt down several patches, and find out how to apply patches at all in the build phase of LibreOffice. At this moment I have the 64bit packages ready and installed on my desktop machine, and that runs smoothly… but the 32bit build keeps throwing errors at me. Go figure.

I think I finally found how to fix this, unfortunately it takes 5 hours of compiling in my virtual machine to experience the error… or not. Hence the large delay in producing working packages.

One side effect of fixing the build process is that the new package again wants to use ~/.ooo3 as the preferences directory, instead of using ~/.libreoffice like my previous version of the LibreOffice package.  People that get fed up with the alternating use of these two directories can just remove the ~/.ooo3 directory and instead create a symlink to ~/.libreoffice/3 in your homedirectory (or the other way round of course, depending on what directory you like more):

$ ln -sf .libreoffice/3 .ooo3

I do hope and anticipate that I can present a complete set of LibreOffice 3.3.1 packages for your Slackware powered computer tomorrow… keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers, Eric


Comment from Ellendhel
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 09:31

Your work on this is always impressive.

Thanks again for compiling and share Slackware packages.

Comment from michelino
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 13:11

Thanks (as usual) for all your work!!!
I’ll really appreciate if you could add Italian to included dictionaries….Thanks in advance

Comment from David
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 16:34

Thank you very much Eric!
I have two questions.
1. After removing “~/.ooo3” and creating symlink with “ln -sf .libreoffice/3 .ooo3”, I was not able to start Libreoffice.
I receive this error:

Berkeley db error (0): Dbcursor::get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Then I deleted the new symlink and place a copy of “~/.ooo3”, and all works well.

2. In your packages the icons of Libreoffice applications are the same of version 3.3. Instead, when I used rpm packages from TDF, the icons were new. Why?

Comment from alienbob
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 23:17


Ah yes, I forgot to add the new LibreOffice menu icons… they are not (yet) installed by default.
I have updated the libreoffice.SlackBuild script so that next update of my package will use the new icons.


Comment from alienbob
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 23:23


Sure, I have updated my private copy of the SlackBuild so that next time I create a package, an italian dictionary will be added.


Pingback from Alien Pastures » LibreOffice 3.3.1 packages
Posted: March 2, 2011 at 23:50

[…] icons. Next time, the old icons will have been replaced with appropriate new icons, I promise! Thanks to David for noticing and reporting that […]

Comment from michelino
Posted: March 3, 2011 at 09:09

Thank you really really much!!!

Write a comment