Chromium and OpenJDK bugfix releases
There is an update to Chrome/Chromium which arrives in very close succession to the previous update less than two weeks ago. The version number change is minimal, 32.0.1700.77 to 32.0.1700.102, but it addresses several vulnerabilities, so it is advised to update your Chrome and/or chromium packages.
The most important fixes are:
[$1000] High CVE-2013-6649: Use-after-free in SVG images. Credit to Atte Kettunen of OUSPG.
[$3000] High CVE-2013-6650: Memory corruption in V8. This issue was fixed in v8 version 22.214.171.124. Credit to Christian Holler.
I have packages ready for the new chromium:
- http://slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium/ (primary server)
- http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium/ (my own US mirror)
- http://alien.slackbook.org/slackbuilds/chromium/ (US)
- http://slackware.org.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/chromium/ (UK)
You can subscribe to the repository’s RSS feed if you want to be the first to know when new packages are uploaded.
Pretty quickly after IcedTea 2.4.4, we can now download 2.4.5 from the web site. This is purely a bugfix release (no security issues are addressed) and the new build brings OpenJDK to version “Update 51 Build 31“, thus synchronizing with the upstream’s source tag “u51 b31″. Read GNU/Andrew’s release notes if you want to know what has been fixed.
My functionality tests (jMol and Minecraft) were satisfactory Please note that Firefox and Chrome/Chromium browsers no longer load Java applets (or other plugins) by default and ask you for explicit approval to load and run them.
My new packages have again been compiled on Slackware 13.37. They are usable on 13.37 as well as 14.0, 14.1 and -current! Get them preferably from a mirror site (faster downloads):
- http://slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/ , the primary location
- http://alien.slackbook.org/slackbuilds/openjdk/ , the community mirror (bandwidth-capped)
- http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/ , my own fast US mirror
- http://slackware.org.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/ , fast UK mirror, needs a day to get in sync
Further packages that are recommended/required:
- Optional: If you want a Java browser-plugin you must install icedtea-web (OpenJDK itself does not contain such a plugin).
Note that you should only install one of the two packages, either openjdk or openjre, do not install both at the same time or things will break! The openjdk package contains the jre (java runtime) as well as the java development kit.