New package for qbittorrent, now based on Qt5

Not related per se to the fall-out of last weekend’s update to the icu4c and poppler packages, my qbittorrent package for slackware-current had stopped working sometime ago – caused by an update in -current of the boost package on which the torrent library depends.

I needed to update qbittorrent too therefore, after having taken care of the icu4c/poppler breakage. The thing is, I had tried to delay the switch in qbittorrent from Qt4 to Qt5 for as long as possible. The ‘new’ 4.x series of qbittorrent have a hard dependency on Qt5, and Qt4 is no longer supported. So I bit the bullet and made packages for bittorrent-4.0.4 and its dependency, libtorrent-rasterbar-1.1.6.
Since the program uses Qt5 now, the dependencies have changed. If you were running qbittorrent 3.x on slackware-current previously then you have to ensure that you have libxkbcommon, qt5 and qt5-webkit packages installed now.

For good times’ sake, I have kept the old SlackBuild scripts and sources but I renamed them to libtorrent-rasterbar10.SlackBuild and qbittorrent3.SlackBuild. If you want the old Qt4 based interface back, then compile the two packages using these SlackBuild scripts (first libtorrent-rasterbar, then qbittorrent). You can install either the new, or the old versions. They can not be co-installed.

10 thoughts on “New package for qbittorrent, now based on Qt5


  1. I love it. Ktorrent is OK of course, but I have been using qbittorrent for years. The best of all Linux based graphical torrent clients if you ask me.



  2. I think the advantage of qbittorrent is that it has python search engine plugins for the different torrent indexers


  3. Pingback: Links 5/4/2018: Mesa 17.3.8 and WordPress Patches | Techrights

  4. Switched to 4.x series last November, libtorrent-rasterbar gave me a few headaches, until the 1.1.6 release. All is well now.


  5. I’ve now switched over to qBitTorrent and like it better than KTorrent. Ktorrent kept spawning several “http.so” processes for some reason that were monopolizing my CPU. Someone told me those had to do with Akonadi, but I don’t think so.


  6. Another package that sadly doesn’t cope with the openssl upgrade.
    First error was ‘qbittorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory’
    After creating a symlink I get:
    ‘qbittorrent: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libtorrent-rasterbar.so.9: undefined symbol: SSL_library_init’




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.