Quite by accident I noticed that LibreOffice 4.1.4 was released yesterday, even before the DocumentFoundation’s blog post was up. The official stance for 4.1.4 is that it is “the first also suggested for corporate deployments“. Well that is good news! So I quickly cleaned up the KDE 4.12 virtual machines and started with compiling some packages.
What I also did was read this page, suggested to me by my pal Heinz: http://dilfridge.blogspot.nl/2013/12/libreoffice-kde-integration.html . This post mentions the exact issues that were also reported by Slackware users of my earlier LO packages on KDE: slowness in the “File” dialogs for opening and saving; and crashes in LO Sheets when selectiong some cells and then moving them (this would actually freeze the complete KDE desktop, not just LO). I checked out the Gentoo bug reports which are mentioned by Andreas Hüttel and extracted the patches he backported from LibreOffice 4.2. It seems (and I asked some friends to check) that these patches do indeed fix the issues on KDE.
Another change in the SlackBuild is that I switched it to use a private version of poppler, this should hopefully fix the broken PDF import in Slackware 14.1 and -current, because of a change in libpoppler library version since Slackware 14.
The LibreOffice 4.1.4 packages for Slackware are available in my 14.0 package repository – I just uploaded them. Remember, they will work on Slackware 14.1 and current just as well. Note that I ship my LibreOffice 4.1 packages with additional “libreoffice-dict-<language>” packages, containing dictionary and spellchecker support!
If you are still running Slackware 13.37 you should stick with LibreOffice 3.6.7 for which I also have packages.
At this point, I used to request that you select one of the mirrors as your preferred download location, in order to spare the master site at slackware.com. However with the launch of SLackware 14.1 the server has been placed behind the Akamai cache infrastructure, so that downloading from slackware.com will no longer hurt us;
- http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/ (master site)
- http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/ (my own US mirror)
- http://repo.ukdw.ac.id/alien-libreoffice/ (Indonesia)
- http://alien.slackbook.org/slackbuilds/libreoffice/ (US)
- http://slackware.org.uk/people/alien/slackbuilds/libreoffice/ (UK)
You can subscribe to the repository’s RSS feed if you want to be the first to know when new packages are uploaded.
Thank You very much!
Thank you Eric! So far it’s working OK.
Thank you Eric. Works as usual.
Thanks, Eric. One question, I got an md5sum error for both the libreoffice package and the EN dictionary when installing from taper.alienbase.nl using slackpkg+. Is it possible the MD5 file is not up to date or cached or someething?
Hi Eric, thanks for your work! I got a verification error too downloading from taperbase (only libreoffice package, localization IT was ok).
Hi Alberto, Dave
I checked the md5sums of the libreoffice packages on taper.alienbase.nl against their CHECKSUMS.md5 entries but I could not find anothing wrong. Download errors perhaps?
Hi Eric, first let me thank you for your great guides and posts =) they have helped me a lot.
Now, the problem! I have an error with this packages. I have installed Slackware64 14.1, then moved to current (not a big change) with slackpkg.
Followed I installed KDE 4.12 from your repositories, all worked fine.
After probe that all is set up, i downloaded LO 4.1.4 for current with rsync from taperbase, and installed it, and there the problems started.
First, when i try to open my old ODF files (ods, odt), LO says they are corrupt and if i want to repair them, i do nothing. Later, LO says they have a “Incompatibility version. Incorrect file version” or something like that (i don’t have my pc with me right now). After this, i create a new ODS with LO 4.1.4, save it, close it, and try to open it, and the same error of versions and incompatibility >.<
When i try to open the old file that gives the first error, with the version of LO that works (in my job), it displays the same error of versions.
With all this, KDE start to crash, kwin and kmix specifically, the errors don't resets the X, but when i try to move something kwin crash, and kmix crash at startup and never recovers.
Ok, too much troubles hahaha, i only need if you know some similar problem and can guide me to repair it.
Could you perhaps share one of these files that gives you issues? Anything personal, private or sensitive should be removed from its contents first.
I have never run into issues before like you are describing them.
Hi Eric, thanks for the quick response.
I share you the file i created with LO 4.1.4 that after save, can’t be open again.
It only has, supposedly, one cell with several “a” in it.
Here’s the link:
I can not open that file in any application… I tried LibreOffice 4.1.4 and 3.6.7, in Calligra Sheets and in the Google Drive viewer.
Is there any application on your computers with which _you_ can open this document?
Eric, I can not open the file either with any application.
Ok, the problem it’s solved, I login to init 3, and removed all kde-l10n packages (yes, I installed all of them =/), and all libreoffice packages installed.
Then install kde-l10n-es package (my home language), and reinstalled libreoffice packages (main, mozplugin, and dict and l10n for ES).
It’s working now, don’t know what happens, the only warning from calc it’s that the file it’s locked, but opens OK.
I saw a warning about few space left on /, but it has 300Mb free, so don’t know if this has something to do.
Thanks for your time Eric, and for your patience.
Well, I am glad you solved it. I still wonder why I could not open the file, though…
I’ll verify later the file with this new working environment, and tell you if this work or not.