This second update, version 4.9.2, offers improved stability in many applications, among which the Kontact suite, Dolphin and Plasma. Check out the release announcement or the release notes for more in-depth information.
If you are running Slackware 14 (just released this weekend) you can get your KDE 4.9.2 packages or better, find a mirror with better download speeds – I have listed them a bit further down.
Don’t try these packages with Slackware 13.37, lots of things will not work properly. Recompiling from source using my KDE.SlackBuild framework would be preferable. Better even, use the opportunity and upgrade to Slackware 14 !
The upgrade from Slackware’s KDE 4.8.5 to the new KDE 4.9.2 should be safe and fairly trivial, As always, follow the guidelines in the README and you’ll be OK.
Highlights for the new set of Slackware packages:
- You will find five updated dependencies compared to Slackware’s own KDE 4.8.5: akonadi, qt, shared-desktop-ontologies, soprano, virtuoso-ose. The qt package is basically the same as Slackware 14, with one exception: I applied a patch which disables TLS compression by default which should safeguard against the “CRIME” SSL attack.
- Compared to KDE 4.8.5, there were two package removals:
- kdemultimedia has been split up into several smaller individual packages.
- ksecrets has been removed completely in the 4.9.x series.
- A noteworthy feature in KDE 4.9 has been added to Okular, the document viewer in KDE. Many people will cheer: Okular is now able to save the annotations you make to PDF files.
These KDE 4.9.2 packages are available for download from my “ktown” repository and several mirrors (taper is up-to-date, the rest will get updated within 24 hours):
- http://alien.slackbook.org/ktown/ (the master repository), rsync URI: rsync://alien.slackbook.org/alien/ktown/
- http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/alien-kde/ (my fast mirror), rsync URI: rsync://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/alien-kde/
- http://repo.ukdw.ac.id/alien-kde/ (willysr’s Indonesian mirror), rsync URI: rsync://repo.ukdw.ac.id/alien-kde/
- http://scw.net.br/alien-ktown/ (a mirror maintained by Herbert Alexander Faleiros), rsync URI: rsync://rsync.scw.net.br/alien-ktown/
And to conclude this post…
A new version of LibreOffice has been available for several weeks now. I promised to have a look at the 3.6 series after Slackware 14 would have been released. Well, I am currently compiling packages for LibreOffice 3.6.1 on Slackware 13.37 in an attempt to reach as many people as possible (running Slackware 13.37 as well as 14). Keep your eyes open for my next post!
Have fun! Eric