Package recompilation effort underway
- libical was upgraded. The new shared library has a different version number, breaking several applications in my Plasma 5 package set. Mostly these are KDEPIM related.
- the openssl upgrade dropped support for the obsolete OpenSSL SSLv2 protocol (by eliminating the ‘SSLv2_client_method’ symbol) in order to address the “DROWN” vulnerability. This broke applications that are linking against openssl using this symbol.
This means I have to recompile several packages; the PIM related ones are kcalcore, kcalutils, kblog, ktnef, kalarmcal, akonadi-calendar, kdepim-runtime, kdepim and kdepimlibs4 (I did kdepimlibs earlier this week). Packages linking to the removed SSLv2 symbol are qt5 and qca-qt5.
This will take some time on my trusty old build-box. The 64-bit PIM packages are done, Qt5 is compiling, qca-qt5 is next. Then I need to repeat for 32-bit and be aware that compiling Qt5 is quite a lengthy process… I won’t have new packages to upload until friday evening probably.
Then I intend to compile new Plasma 5.5.5 (just released, it’s the last in the 5.5 series) and generate new Slackware Live ISO images. Don’t stay up for those… will probably be on the other side of the weekend before you see those, because I need to test some updates to the liveslak scripts first.
Somewhere inbetween I should also take care of the new Chromium sources which were just released, addressing several vulnerabilities. By the way, this new 49.0.2623.75 release is the first where Google is only releasing 64-bit binaries for Linux, so I am afraid that at some point the 32-bit plugins I used to extract from the Chrome binaries (pepperflash and widevine plugins) will stop working for the 32-bit chromium packages which I will of course keep compiling for you. The most recent versions of these binary-only plugins remain in my repository until they break.