KDE Software Compilation 4.6.4
KDE team is proud to announce the release of KDE Software Compilation 4.6.4 – and I built you some nice packages for Slackware. This version of the KDE SC is probably not going to end up in Slackware in the next few days (Pat Volkerding is showing his face on the South East Linux Fest (SELF) of which Slackware is a “bronze” sponsor) so I took my chances. If you want to keep updated on the changes in these KDE packages, please subscribe to my ktown repository’s RSS feed.
You have to be running Slackware 13.37 (32bit or 64bit) or newer in order to use these packages. They were built on slackware-current. Please read the accompanying README file for installation and upgrade instructions!
This is the fourth incremental release in the 4.6 series, meaning it’s mostly bugfixes and translation enhancements. Functionally there is nothing spectacular. Nevertheless, some of the highlights of my package set:
- Packages of the stable release 4.6.0 of kdepim and kdepim-runtime are included as well. YES! The 4.6 release of the KDEPIM suite has taken a long time to stabilize, after it had basically been re-written from scratch.
- Updated dependencies since KDE 4.6.3 if you have that installed already: akonadi, libssh.
- Updated dependencies with regard to the stable Slackware 13.37 are: PyQt, QScintilla, akonadi, attica, ebook-tools, hunspell, libdbusmenu-qt,sip, soprano, system-config-printer, virtuoso-ose.
- Not part of Slackware 13.37 at all (yet): grantlee, libatasmart, libbluedevil, libssh, sg3_utils, udisks.
- And bluedevil of course – the new KDE bluetooth stack which is based on the BlueZ libraries already present in Slackware. It got added to “kde”. It integrates a lot better into KDE than the GTK application “blueman” which is now primarily meant to be used with the non-KDE desktop environments.
The KDE 4.6.4 packages for Slackware 13.37 & current should be available for download from my “ktown” repository by now (the Indonesian mirror may need a bit of time to sync up):
- http://alien.slackbook.org/ktown/4.6.4/ (the master repository), rsync URI: rsync://alien.slackbook.org/alien-kde/4.6.4/
- http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/alien-kde/4.6.4/ (my fast mirror), rsync URI: rsync://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/alien-kde/4.6.4/
- http://repo.ukdw.ac.id/alien-kde/4.6.4/ (willysr’s Indonesian mirror), rsync URI: rsync://repo.ukdw.ac.id/alien-kde/4.6.4/
Thanks to the many KDE developers, sysadmins, advocates and documentation writers, and whomever I may have forgotten. KDE is simply the best desktop environment around.
Have fun! Eric